Home
Posted By: Calvin Winter king action - 12/31/22
Been fun hitting the water again after hunting and trapping season. A few kings around around. Love eating the cold water kings. Crazy amounts of fat.

Going to commercial troll a lot this winter. Been fun being outside so much this year.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Winter king action - 12/31/22
Fat kings. Food for kings.
Be gentle with me...dumb question...do you pull your boat out daily in winter or do you moor it? So if you moor it...what happens if it is pretty cold in the morning and you crank it over, does ice damage the raw water pump impeller? If you pull the boat at night, do you dry crank it to clear the impeller. I know they supposedly are self draining and normal salinity water doesn't freeze much until it drops to 28 or so.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Winter king action - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Fat kings. Food for kings.
Be gentle with me...dumb question...do you pull your boat out daily in winter or do you moor it? So if you moor it...what happens if it is pretty cold in the morning and you crank it over, does ice damage the raw water pump impeller? If you pull the boat at night, do you dry crank it to clear the impeller. I know they supposedly are self draining and normal salinity water doesn't freeze much until it drops to 28 or so.

I keep it in the harbor. I keep engines in the water which is always above freezing. Never had had impeller issues. I am lower SE ak. Usually it’s above freezing
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Winter king action - 12/31/22
Heck yeah!!! This makes me a little more motivated to try and get out and maybe get one. Not too many cruising around here though, you are in a way better area Joel! Nice work! Flasher/bait?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Winter king action - 12/31/22
11" flasher and either a skinny g or hoochie. I feel like I could have done better with smaller stuff like coho killers or wee g's. Everything they are eating right now is small. trap shack for the skinny g and 039r hoochie.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Winter king action - 01/01/23
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated! I think I have some of those
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Winter king action - 01/01/23
Glad to see you're getting out and getting on the fish, im super jealous..

Still running that purple dank?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Winter king action - 01/01/23
Purple drank has been slow. Need to give it a try this year.

The purple nurple was hot a few years ago though. Green lantern has been killing it.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Winter king action - 01/02/23
I fished out of Homer a couple weeks ago. The hot lure of the day ended up being a blue tipped rainbow spinner. I never would have tried that on that day but glad thecaptain is way smarter than me.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Winter king action - 02/03/23
Very nice! Great pictures.
Posted By: knivesforme Re: Winter king action - 02/14/23
Very nice. It appears you have a very capable deck hand too!
© 24hourcampfire